I had a rather dramatic equipment failure in my RS Vareo during a windy race mid June with my boom snapping in half. It was corroded around mainsheet pulley clip in any case, the kicker was too loose, a gust must have pulled the boom out of the gooseneck, it hit the hull and snapped. Fortunately a safety boat was close by to get me back and the sail was ok.
I borrowed a boom till the new one was sorted out then got back into the groove, with some success; third and fourth in two cup races. The third position race was a really light wind day and valuable lessons were learned about finding clean air and good practice was had of minimising body movements and rudder. Continue reading “June / July 2018 Sailing”→
I was fortunate to have a coaching session with Sam Whaley, British Sailing Team member this week. It was an enlightening experience and looking at my notes, I have a lot to work on and practise which is great. Thanks Sam.
I also used my new action camera for the first time, an Akaso EK7000. The recording (clips above) was at 1080p (60FPS), it stored two files; 4.6GB 25 mins, and 3.5GB 21 mins, the battery died after 46 minutes and some condensation appeared on the inside of the waterproof casing. This disappeared quickly on opening the case.
I think it’d make sense to dry the camera on a sunny window sill before using for the first time to clear out any residual moisture. For the money I think it’s fine.
At last I got out in my RS Vareo again today, the first sail of 2018. 🙂 Relatively light wind, good surfing conditions, good fun beating upwind through the waves and I got the kite up a good few times.
In June 2017 I finally bought myself a radio controlling sailing boat having wanted one for longer than I can remember, I went for a Joysway Dragonforce 65 V.6 an inexpensive RC yacht. I regularly sail a full sized boat and having made plenty of boats and gliders as a kid was especially curious about sailing an RC scaled down version. I hadn’t had RC models of any kind till now.
Having set it up and working, I realised there were a few things I wish I’d known before embarking on building it which prompted this post.
So this was a windy one and I didn’t fare too well. I was experiencing a lot of weather helm, couldn’t point highly and on the second lap capsized, couldn’t get the kite back in, ended up removing it and abandoning.
However, I did have two fantastic legs flying the kite up making up ground lost and learned a lot. The boat really is more stable in higher winds flying the spinnaker. At one point I caught a gust and the boat simply took off 🙂 Grin!